So how do we reach Milennials? There is, to be sure, no silver bullet. However, in this video, Kairos church planter Scott Wallace gives some insights into connecting with this generation. From this video, some things to note that are helpful in reaching Millennials would include:
- Dedication, sacrifice, and passion - Scott indicates that, in part, Millennials have not seen their parents' generations take their faith seriously, making it worth dying for. This is one of the things that makes church plants and church planters attractive--they make serious sacrifices to live like Jesus and reach others for Christ.
- Reaching out in current and innovative ways - Scott's church posted in Craigslist that they were looking for a musician who was unchurched to come to their church. This caught the attention of Tim (interviewed in the video), and he responded to the ad and came to the church.
- Preaching that is Biblical, Relevant, and Not Condemning - Tim tells in this video how Scott preaches from the Word, neither preaching all fluffy sermons nor preaching "fire and brimstone. Preaching matters in reaching Millennials. Just as important--and what also makes this preaching effective--is the personal connection with the preaching minister.
- Personal Connection and Bible Study - Tim grew up largely unchurched. A neighbor gave him a Bible. which he read some, though there was much he did not understand. It took Scott inviting him into Bible study and asking him about baptism that led him to actually take this step--praise God! This is something that the preacher / lead minister needs to do with seekers.
- Christian Community - Both the friendliness of Christians in the worship assembly, as well as small groups, were important for Tim in coming to faith.
How can we better connect with Millennials in preaching and reaching out? What do you learn from the above story?